20th November 2020
Dear Parents and carers
I am writing to you directly because I have just been informed by Bristol City Council that unfortunately our area currently has one of the highest rates of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Bristol.
We know that social mixing increases the spread of the virus and that not everyone is adhering to the government guidance relating to lockdown. One suspected cause of the spread, in some areas, is through parents and carers mixing on their way to and from schools and settings.
We are already working incredibly hard to keep the areas in and directly around our school as safe as possible, but we need to strengthen certain messages, in communities with high prevalence rates such as ours.
Bristol City Council will deliver the following messages through their media campaigns, but I have been instructed to also send the following to you all to ensure it reaches every family. These messages are also to be translated into Bristol’s most common languages and will follow up next week with the translated text.
Key messages from Bristol City Council:
· Please travel to/from school with COVID-19 in mind. It’s advised to avoid public transport so please try and walk/cycle to school if you can, keeping your distance from others, and ensure you wear a face covering when required. Where possible, car sharing with people outside your household or support bubble should be avoided.
· Social distancing guidance inside and outside of school is different. Whilst at school, your child can mix with his/her class bubble, as safety measures are in place. This is necessary in order for us to enable children and young people to continue to attend. However, these measures are not in place outside of school, so please make sure you and your child follow the current government guidance when not in the school building
· Social distancing outside school gates is vital to minimise the spread. Please do not gather or mix when dropping off or collecting your child
· If you or your child develops symptoms of the virus, you/they must not go to school. Stay at home, self-isolate and get tested. Symptoms include a new continuous cough, high temperature or loss or change to your sense of taste and smell
· If you or your child is asked to self-isolate, you/they must not leave the house under any circumstances and your friends and family cannot visit during this time. We understand your frustrations in having to adapt to last minute calls or changes requiring you/your child to self-isolate and thank you for your continued cooperation.
· The council’s guidance for parents and carers amid COVID-19 here
· The council’s videos encouraging compliance during lockdown in different languages here
· Information on the council’s free We Are Bristol helpline here
Thank you for your continued patience and understanding during these really difficult times.
Please stay safe and we send all our best wishes to you and your families.
Miss Hilary Dunford