At St Nic’s we provide a rich and varied curriculum, where positive learning attitudes are developed through the teaching of skills that help children to see how an activity helps them in many ways. These Core Learning Skills promote pupils’ ability to learn independently, which results in increased motivation and raised standards.
By the end of their time at St Nic’s we hope that our pupils are:
- Inquirers: They are naturally curious. They enjoy learning and this love of learning will be sustained throughout their lives.
- Knowledgeable: They explore concepts, ideas and issues that have local and global significance, developing understanding across a broad and balanced range of disciplines.
- Thinkers: They exercise initiative approaching complex problems, and make reasoned, ethical decisions.
- Communicators: They understand and express ideas and information confidently and creatively. They work willingly in collaboration with others.
- Principled: They act with integrity and honesty, with a strong sense of fairness, justice and respect for the dignity of others. They take responsibility for their own actions and the consequences of them.
- Open-minded: They understand and appreciate their own cultures and personal histories. They seek, and are open to, the perspectives, values and traditions of other individuals and communities, and are willing to grow from these experiences.
- Caring: They show empathy, compassion and respect towards the needs and feelings of others. They have a personal commitment to service, and act to make a positive difference to the lives of others and to the environment.
- Risk-takers: They approach unfamiliar situations and uncertainty with courage and forethought, and have the independence of spirit to explore new roles, ideas and strategies. They are brave and articulate in defending their beliefs.